Returning to the UK as an expat from abroad or overseas, what are the tax implications?

More and more expats find themselves coming back to the UK after many years for working overseas and wonder what should they do about taxes.

A first step is making sure that when you are abroad HMRC has your address so you can be sure they are not trying to send post to a wrong address. This can hide all sorts of problems.

Step one is to re-connect with HMRC using your NINO or Self Assessment reference number and make sure HMRC has your UK address.

When you start your UK job, or business your employer or you will need to let HMRC know about your sources of income.

Having a quick review of your overall circumstance by a qualified UK tax adviser will help give you that piece of mind!